Fifty things to do before I'm fifty. A year of new experiences.

Fifty things to do before I’m fifty.

NOT a bucket list.


The idea of this list came about when I realised that there were so many things I’d never done before. More and more often I’ve been hearing myself say “I’ve never been there” or “I haven’t tried  that” or “I’d love to have a go at that” I started to think that I should start getting out there and having some new experiences. My life has been rather routine since forever, mostly based around work and building the business up trying hard to attain a certain amount of financial security.

I’ve been very aware of the approach of my 50th birthday. My mum was 50 years old when she died and that sits heavily on my consciousness all the time. She always had a wish list of things to do and places to visit but never seemed to get around to following her dreams. There were always circumstances getting in the way, no money, no time and the pressures and demands of single parenthood all played a part. She never ever got to be selfish and do things just for herself but she always thought that there would be time. This is not going to be a morbid blog, I’m giving an insight about my motivations for this quest and the reasons for looking at my own mortality during this year.

The challenge I’ve set myself is to do fifty things I’ve never done before in the year before I’m fifty. The list is a work in progress and will be subject to change over the time. At this moment there are around 35 things on there but I plan to get more organised and get at least another 10 or so on there before the year starts. Start date will be on my 49th birthday although number #1 which is to keep a blog for a year has been started a little early so I could get it all set up in time to go live on the day.

As the subtitle says, this is very definitely NOT a bucket list, I plan to be around for many more years but I’m determined to hit fifty with enthusiasm and a lust for life that was sorely missing when I turned 40! Not everything on the list is something I desperately want to do, some things I find the prospect of doing absolutely terrifying!
 Any suggestions of things to add to the list will be gratefully received as will volunteers to join me on any of the trips or challenges. 

I’m looking forward to the year ahead….. Bring it on!

Comments

  1. Wow. Well done. This is by far a huge challenge you have set. I can't plan a week from today, never mind a year.
    But this is bigger. This is most definitely an amazing challenge. BUT..... No better woman. This is something I think anyone would be proud of doing. Fair bloody play to you

    So our connection is family (no matter what Simon Mills may say), but for me you are much more. Family, confidant and most importantly to me, a friend. I can list many things you have done for me over the years, we have shared some special times.

    In your second paragraph you talk about your mum. I know she was and still is an extremely important woman to you. These are truly honest words and most definitely from your heart. I never met your mum, but I'm sure she is very proud of what and who you have become

    I'm sure at the end of this count down you will be very proud of your achievements and rightly so!

    Last thing that needs to be said is thank you.
    For all our shared travels, advice, secrets and giggles.
    AND well done with that tiny little baby that rocketed in to your world at such dramatic and stressful time of your life. You did well there. You've moulded that girl in to a caring, beautiful and genuine woman.

    Jo, you are a true inspiration to me.
    I hope this coming year is as wonderful, adventurous and terrifying as it should be.

    I am beyond excited about reading this blog over the coming year. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue. Thank you so much for those amazing words! I have a lump in my throat reading this. I'm proud you're part of my life and any thanks that come my way goes straight back to you my lovely. I'm so looking forward to sharing some of my adventures with you, and not just in the coming year! Love and hugs xxxxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fifty things to do before I'm fifty, My Mosque Visit

Fifty things to do before I'm fifty, The elf rebellion.