Fifty things to do before I'm fifty, Getting muddy.



Tough Mudder.

This was one of the first things to go on my list when I originally came up with the idea to do the fifty things I've never done before. I'm not going to lie, I lost sleep over this one. 10 miles and more than 20 obstacles.... What the hell was I thinking? I couldn't even run 5k without feeling like I was going to die. How on earth was I going to manage more than double the distance  with all the truly daunting challenges along the way? I did train for it, I worked hard at the gym trying to get into shape and be strong enough to take on the obstacles. In spite of that, I was terrified I was going to let everyone down, be an embarrassment to myself and all the people around me especially as the oldest one on the team. There were many times when I nearly bottled it.
BUT... this list of mine was never going to be an easy cruise, many of the things on it I've never done because I've been too scared. Time to start facing down those fears!
Waiting to start

Just a mile in!
 I have to say, there was no way I would have got round the course if it hadn't been for the help I had from friends, team-mates and complete strangers. The atmosphere was very much all for one and one for all. Everyone helped each other out, in fact many of the obstacles were designed to be conquered by team work. It was so much fun, I've never been picked up and thrown over logs or hauled up 15 foot high walls before! Nor have I run through electric wires, crawled through mud under barbed wire, launched myself backwards out of a high tube into deep muddy water or gone down a slide into more than six feet of ice water!
Log throw

Terrifying drop!


Not getting crazy at all!

Electrocution time

Six packing!

Artic Enema


Was I sacred? Yes!! Scared of almost every obstacle I encountered!
Was it hard? Yes!! It's not called a Tough Mudder for nothing!
Celebrating team work! Forever grateful to these guys for helping me to survive it!!

Tough Birds!


Bee and Me!



There's nothing quite as life affirming as facing your fears and surviving them. It was one of the best  things I've ever done. In fact I enjoyed it so much I've signed up to do another one! Bring it on!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifty things to do before I'm fifty, My Mosque Visit

Fifty things to do before I'm fifty. A year of new experiences.

Fifty things to do before I'm fifty, The elf rebellion.