Fifty things to do before I'm fifty, Wimbledon

As a child, some of my strongest memories are of the summertime. When Wimbledon came on the TV, it coincided with the sweet possibility of having school lessons outside and sour milk at break time.  Children's programmes were cancelled..(...that's what my mum told me anyway) and it was the beginning of the wait for the end of term and the long summer holidays.
 I'm not a huge tennis lover, I only follow the institution that is Wimbledon. It has been part of my summer for as long as I can remember. I particularly love the first week when there is the possibility of an epic David and Goliath battle on one of the outside courts or an intense fast paced doubles match. Many times I've envied the spectators lucky enough to soak up the atmosphere of the place.  Wimbledon was an obvious choice for my list. I didn't manage to get tickets in the ballot so we bought a package deal with tickets for number one court on the second Saturday. We were also allowed access to all the outside courts. What a treat!
Check the reflection in my glasses!
We were blessed with fantastic weather.... some would say it was too hot. Not me though! Although  it was less than a week since my varicose vein surgery so I was a bit limited on outfits to wear. My surgeon ok'd me to have a day without my surgical stockings so I was very happy to be able to wear flip flops.
This is where we sat on No1 court!





All the matches we watched and the results


We saw some really excellent, entertaining tennis. The seats were right by the players family box. It was a fantastic experience.
So excited to be there!

The board was a bit bare!

Senior doubles on court 12

We didn't watch this match!

Girls singles presentation

Needs no explanation!

Senior invitation doubles (John McEnroes brother was in it!)

Ladies doubles presentation

At the risk of sounding gushy, it was a truly fantastic day out. My legs were very sore and I was a little bit sunburnt but I'm so pleased we got to go. It was a really big tick to put on my list.  I entered the ballot for tickets again this year and was amazingly lucky to be offered tickets....not so lucky was that I was away on holiday when the offer arrived and I missed the deadline to accept them! What can I say? I hope whoever was offered them after me has a wonderful day there this year and maybe I'll get lucky again another time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifty things to do before I'm fifty, My Mosque Visit

Fifty things to do before I'm fifty. A year of new experiences.

Fifty things to do before I'm fifty, The elf rebellion.