Fifty things to do before I'm fifty, Not getting cold feet!





A firewalk? What on earth made you think of that? Are you out of your mind?

Just some of the comments made when I said I wanted to do it. I booked myself to do it as part of a fundraiser for St Josephs Hospice in Hackney fully expecting to go solo. I mentioned it in passing to my friend, JB a week or so before and casually invited her to join me fully expecting rolling eyes and a chuckle followed by a decisive You've GOT to be joking! Imagine my surprise when she  jumped at the chance and agreed to do it immediately. What a joy!
The firestarters
Nearly ready
Although I'm happy to do things on my list alone, its way more fun to share the experience with someone else. Willing conspirators are always welcome! 
Nervous anticipation!














We had a briefing beforehand and then it was down to business......












Sadly, the photos are blurred but you can see what we got up to. There are no special effects, the fire is genuine and REALLY hot. We didn't have any special coating put on our feet.



What can I say about it? The walk itself was over ridiculously quickly, it went by in a blur. So fast in fact, we went back and did it again.
 It was such an odd thing to do and so very hard to describe. We didn't burn our feet in the slightest, in fact, we weren't even conscious of the heat coming from the coals at all. The only thing I was really aware of was the change in texture  under my feet. 
What a brilliant experience though.We left the hospice absolutely buzzing and full of excitement trying to figure out how on earth we did it!
It was a real delight so share the evening with JB and excellent photographer cousin Rob who bought us drinks and  very patiently listened to our  babble afterwards
Would I do it again? Yes! Absolutely without any hesitation! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifty things to do before I'm fifty, My Mosque Visit

Fifty things to do before I'm fifty. A year of new experiences.

Fifty things to do before I'm fifty, The elf rebellion.