Fifty things to do before I'm fifty, Treble Dutch!




Amsterdam has been on my wish list to visit for a long long time. The laid back atmosphere of the place appealed to me and I wanted to see the quirky, wonky architecture for myself. Not to mention an opportunity to tick several things off my list!





I had a fantastic few days with great friends who were up for the adventure. The weather was unbelievably cold and windy (thanks beast from the east part two!) we did our best not to let it hamper us.
Dam Square
 First tick came with a tram ride. How is it that practically every country I've ever visited has brilliant public transport? Its cheap, well run, simple to navigate, clean, regular.... I could go on. I know this is asked all the time but what is their secret and why can't we copy it over here?
To be honest the tram ride was a bit of a non event, it was just like a bus really only quiet. The quietness of the trams actually nearly caught us out a few times when trying to cross the road. Between the trams and the cyclists we were lucky not to have a collision!

Tramming
My first tram ride actually took us to Anne Franks' house. Another place I've wanted to visit for a long time. I first read Anne Franks' Diary at around twelve or thirteen and it made a massive impression on me. It was the first 'historical' book I'd read that I could relate to. It wasn't about soldiers or royalty, it was an ordinary girl who was the same age as me, going through many of the same emotions and feelings as I was.  The big difference, of course, was that she was cooped up in a couple of rooms with no privacy and the constant fear of discovery  hanging over her and her family. I was a little disappointed  with the museum, I think I expected it to be a more moving experience. Its a series of empty rooms with photographs of how they used to look. Although you get a strong sense of how claustrophobic the place must have been and of course the tragic end. I was glad I visited.
Anne Frank's House
A late addition to my list was to go on the swing at the A'Dam lookout. I saw it on a tv show and on the list it went!  At 20 storeys high its one of the tallest buildings in Amsterdam and the swing goes out over the edge. The elevator up to the top of the building was interesting and rather trippy. My ride on the swing was great fun although the wind up there was unreal, it took my breath (and nearly my hat!) away! The day was bright and beautiful though and the views were amazing. It was a great place to remember my mum on the anniversary of her death. It felt a little like she was with me there.
Me swinging
Some other dudes swinging
Fabulous views!
The tower from the ground


I liked Amsterdam very much. I love the fact that it is untainted by high rise glass and steel buildings. It's completely unique and as quirky as I hoped it would be.The people are wonderful; charming and helpful. Numerous times, we found ourselves looking lost and each time a friendly local would come up to us and offer help. You certainly don't get that in London! A memorable visit with great company. Thanks girls!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fifty things to do before I'm fifty, My Mosque Visit

Fifty things to do before I'm fifty. A year of new experiences.

Fifty things to do before I'm fifty, The elf rebellion.